Kolonial Refuge

Asmat shelter

The establishing of the kolonial refuge

1793 -1795 The British East India Company of West New Guinea erected Fort Coronation but are abandoned due to illness in the Vogelkop area and Restoration Bay.

1822 English Colonies in Australia demand the annexing of New Guinea.

1842 The captain of the F. P. Blackwood travels the western Papuan gulf aboard the “H.M.S. Fly" and discovers the Fly river. 

1846 Lieutenants C. B. Yule claims New Guinea for England.

1848 The north coast of West New Guinea is claimed by the Dutch-Indian government in the name of the Sultan of Tidore.

1873 English captain John Moresbsey discovers Port Morsebey and names it after his father. He declares East New Guinea as an English territory without any consequences.

1883 More pressure from the English colonies in Australia, Fiji and New Zealand demanding the annexing from East New Guinea.

1884 Berlin establishes the “New Guinea Company." The islands of the Bismarck-Archipelagoes of the northeast part of New Guinea and the North west part of Salomonen and “Mikronesien” are to be protected by German military.

1885The southeastern border between the German protectorate, “Kaiser Willhelms Land” and the English protectorate, “British New Guinea” (later to be named Papua) are agreed upon.

1890-1892 German administration appoints the first Luluais (governmental chiefs) and unknowingly establish their administrative center in the middle of malaria contaminated regions; Finschhafen to Stephansort via Madang.

1899 The New Guinea company loses rights to Kaiser Willhelms Land and is entirely takenover by administration in Berlin. The colony center is moved to NewBritain from Rabaul.

1901-1906 British New Guinea along with six English Colonies are incorporated into the “Australian State,” and is henceforth named Papua.

1907-1914 A variety of Dutch expeditions (militarily accompanied) search for a way inland to the snow covered mountains of West New Guinea.

1908 H. Murray becomes the governor of the Australian colony Papua with the governmental seat in Port Moresby. (Sir H. Murray retains this office until 1940).

1909–1914 German expeditions penetrate the source zone of the Sepik River. This includes the scientist and explorers, Walter Behrmann, August Roesicke, and Richard Thurnwald. Leonhard Schultze Jena marks the German-Dutch border (Kaiserin-Augusta-River) in the zone of the upper Sepik.

1914 After the outbreak of World War I, Australian Miliraty forces land on the island (September 11) in the area of Rabaul. In just a very short time, the Garman forces were overwhelmed.

1919 The Treaty of Versailles gives Australia official control of former German protectorates.

1921 Kaiser Wilhelms Land becomes, “The Mandated Territory of New Guinea,” and spans from Rabaul to the Port Moresby of Papua. The different legal systems are managed by the Australian administration center in the Northeast part of New Guinea.